Queensland independent schools will welcome more than 123,000 new and returning students when the 2019 school year commences at the end of January.
Four new independent schools have been approved to open in Queensland in 2019, while six existing independent schools have been given the go ahead to open new campuses and year levels | READ MORE
2019 is an historic year for education in Queensland with the commencement of the state’s new senior schooling and tertiary entrance systems.
Year 11 families will be the first to experience the new Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE) | READ MORE
Queensland Independent Schools Parents Network Executive Officer Sue Kloeden said families had a positive role to play in their child’s educational development, no matter what year level their son or daughter was entering in 2019.
“I encourage parents and carers to talk with their schools about how best to help their children settle in, particularly Prep students and those who are new to a school,” she said.
“Establishing positive routines early is important.”
Ms Kloeden said decades of research had shown that parents have the greatest influence on their child’s learning when they:
- set high, but realistic, expectations for their child
- read with them
- encourage good study habits
- create a stimulating home environment
- reinforce and connect learning in the classroom with everyday activities at home.
The majority of Queensland schools will start the new school year from Tuesday, January 29. However, some independent schools may have different start dates. Parents should check commencement dates with individual schools.
Back to school tools, tips & stories
- Discover how a primary teacher engages and inspires her students from the very first moment they enter her “enchanted” classroom | READ MORE
- Teacher tips for a magical first year in Prep | READ MORE
- Transition advice for students starting high school | READ MORE
- Draw on an extensive range of resources to support your child’s learning and wellbeing in 2019 | READ MORE | WEBINARS WITH PARENTING EXPERTS
- Helpful school travel reminders from Translink | READ MORE