Students in non-state schools and their parents can access financial assistance for travel and concessions.
Year 12s Continuing Further Studies
If your son or daughter is finishing Year 12 this year and they intend on continuing their studies in 2018, they can continue to travel on concession fares until 31 March 2018. However, they will need to hold on to their expired Year 12 student ID card as proof of ID.
Students travelling within the go card network
If your son or daughter lives in South East Queensland and go on to further study, they can continue to travel on concession fares:
- until 31 March 2018 by visiting selected go card retailers to extend their concession go card expiry date to 31 March. They will need to show their expired school student ID.
- In 2018, as soon as they receive their new tertiary student ID:
Students travelling outside of the go card network
If your son or daughter lives in regional Queensland (outside the go card network) and go on to further study, they can also continue to travel on concession fares:
- until 31 March 2018 by showing their expired school student ID
- As soon as they receive their new tertiary student ID in 2018, they should apply for a regional concession sticker to be applied to their ID.
For more information about concession fares, including eligibility criteria, please visit https://translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares/concessions/school-students or call TransLink on 13 12 30 anytime.
School Transport Assistance for Parents
The Non-State Schools Transport Assistance Scheme administers two programs parents can apply for – bus or ferry assistance or students with disability.
The Scheme, which is a joint initiative of Independent Schools Queensland and the Queensland Catholic Education Commission, provides parents with information on how to determine if they’re eligible for assistance and when and how to apply.
October is the month to apply for travel expenses between July to December.
It’s a simple process.
- Check your eligibility for either: Bus or Ferry Assistance OR Students With Disability
- Make a note in your calendar to apply to the scheme each May (for travel January to June) / October (for travel July to December)
- Pay for transport throughout the semester
- Keep your public transport receipts
- The scheme calculates how much they can pay you
- They pay you by the end of August/January after you apply